Welcome to the Pauline Haarer Website!
École Pauline Haarer is located in downtown Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada. We're a close-knit group with about 250 French immersion students and 20 staff members. We invite parents, students and members of our community to use the links in the upper left to find your way around this site.
L'école Pauline Haarer est fière d'avoir été une des premières écoles d'immersion à Nanaimo en ouvrant ses portes en septembre 1977. Notre école reçoit son nom d'une enseignante dévouée qui a enseigné à Nanaimo de 1890 à 1936. En 1935, elle a reçu la médaille King George pour ses services à l'apprentissage!
School Hours: Monday and Friday, 8:45 am - 1:30 pm; Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday: 8:45 am -2:40 pm.
Office Hours: Monday and Friday, 8:00 - 1:45; Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, 8:00 - 3:00. You are welcome to call the school at (250) 754-2722 or send me an email if you have questions.
For Library News and Updates, see: http://blogs.nlps.ca/mmesullivan/
1. Ongoing School Events
- RUNNING CLUB (8:00-8:30 M-W-F mornings) Pauline Haarer's soccer field. Thanks to Mike, Kyla, Gary, Andy, Brent, Elizabeth and other parent volunteers for keeping our kids fit and active. Children and parents are welcome to join the runners! October 27 we are organizing a practice run at Colliery Dam in preparation for the North Zone Small Schools Meet November 5 (am) and the District Meet the following week. Our school is 'hosting' the zone meet, so we hope to have lots of volunteers offering to help guide students around the course.
- GARDEN CLUB (11:15 - 12:00 Thursdays) We can always use volunteers to with the garden, even if you can't make it for the garden club. Many thanks to Wendy for beautifying the front of the school and to Helen and gardeners for working on the garden plots. Thanks also to Dana and students for hacking back the blackberries and finding the hidden footballs.
- LIBRARY VOLUNTEERS - please let Dominique Sullivan know if you have time to help in the library.
- THE GATHERING PLACE - Wednesday, October 15, Susan Brown, our Aboriginal Education Assistant will be setting up the Gathering Place (the portable). We hope to have this space open for students at lunch and for small gathering events.
2. Pauline Haarer Math Challenges
All grade one through grade seven students have access to Mathletics online. Ask teachers for the student access code if you do not have it.
4. Next PAC Meetings: Thursday, October 9 and November 13 at 6:30 pm in the school library
All families at Pauline Haarer School are members of the PAC and are welcome to attend. Child-minding is provided by grade 7 volunteers.
7. Before and After School Care
Kairis Gingerysty runs our on-site Before and After School Care Program. Hours are 7:30-8:45 am and from after school until 5:30 pm. There are still a few spaces available.
Thank you for the warm welcome, the many offers of assistance and the great support!
Karina Younk, Principal
Contact information: firstname.lastname@example.org